In Nexgen we do not stop giving advice and encouragement to get everyone to leave the couch and start doing some exercise. It is a healthy habit that we should all practice. However, you do not have to be extremists either, since you can not go from sedentary to intense physical exercise, since the risk of injury is great.
It is necessary to be careful and perform a minimum preparation before starting to exercise if you are a sedentary person. You can not go from doing anything to wanting to do everything.
It is not uncommon for the person who, due to work and other daily requirements, has lost the habit of doing sports. Then one day friends tell you about playing a game of singles football against married, or you sign up for the paddle tournament in the office, or you just see some sneakers and you buy them and you take to the streets to run.
All exercise habits are healthy, but make no mistake: practicing intense exercise is not available to everyone. These are some mistakes that you should avoid if you take time without exercising and you want to resume the activity:
- Overestimating capacities: You remember the good times, when you did not stop running in the 90 minutes a football game, how you jumped playing basketball or volleyball or how well you endured jogging to do some aerobic exercise, without more. If you have not exercised for a while, do not think you're the one a few years ago. Go little by little, know your capabilities and limitations, and adapt the intensity, progressing from less to more.
- Haste to recover the lost: Some people return to exercise and want to get in two months what they have not done in several years. The rush will only generate frustration as well as the risk of doing things too quickly and, consequently, badly. The exercise is an activity that will benefit you in the medium and long term, so that perseverance is essential, and haste should be left aside.
- Wait for a miracle: In the exercise nothing is given away. Whatever you're going to get, you have to get it by your own means. You will have to learn the correct way to feed and train so that you can improve, but do not expect products or miracle diets to get you to get in shape without sweating.
- Exercise as obligation: Certainly the exercise must be an obligation in the sense that it requires commitment and dedication. But going from not exercising to compelling yourself will only get you to leave it within a month of starting to practice it. You will have to find a way to make the exercise fun, so that you get used to it and integrate it into your daily routine.
- Do it only from time to time: Logically everything that is leaving the sofa and doing something active will be positive for your health. In the previous point I affirm that it does not have to be an obligation that enslaves you and that you do to disgust, but neither the opposite. You can not exercise only very occasionally, when you feel like it. You have to find a middle ground and practice it with a minimum of regularity and dedication. Little by little, you will get to make the habit, almost without realizing it.
- Forget injury prevention: Moving from sedentary to active is positive, but you have to do it knowing that exercise always have a certain risk of injury. This section seems very important, so I will expand a little more.
Prevention of injuries when you start exercising
When going from sedentary to the practice of any type of physical activity, we must not forget that the body is accustomed to not move. Not only have you lost strength, also coordination, balance, reaction speed ... All this makes your body less prepared to exercise stress, even to a relatively smooth effort.
I have known many cases of knee injuries when practicing skiing habitually sedentary people, who pass from office work to the ski slope without doing another type of exercise. I have treated people for muscle breakage caused when starting the race in a match of singles against married, after taking years without playing. Others suffer damage to their wrist and forearm when they sign up for the company's paddle tournament without having ever done any kind of arm exercise.
If your physical condition is not very good, you should start by training a minimum of strength (bodybuilding exercises, either in the gym or at home) to train some aerobic capacity (soft trot, static or elliptical bike) and never forget to perform warm-up exercises before the activity and stretching afterwards.
Going from zero to a hundred can not be done when it comes to our body. Let's look for an adequate exercise, at an adequate intensity and progress slowly until we reach, over time, the level.